Good Shepherd Lutheran College is a co-educational, independent college operated by the Lutheran Church of Australia established in 1890. It is a Christian school that has developed a reputation in a relatively short time, as providing individual care and attention to its students.
Good Shepherd aims to provide an educational pathway for each student that empowers them to develop as successful learners and valuable members of the wider community. It is a strong community; based on firm Christian foundations, enabling students to develop an understanding of the richness of life through the saving grace of Jesus Christ.
Good Shepherd is a thriving, dynamic school, situated in a Top End district of the Northern Territory that is also thriving and rapidly developing. The college integrates a unique ‘values’ program, with emphasis being proudly placed on its motto:
Australia has had Lutheran schools ever since the first Lutheran settlers arrived in South Australia from Germany in 1839. Even before the SA Government became formally involved in education, Lutheran communities established their own schools because they were concerned about the future of their children. They wanted to provide for the growth of their children spiritually, intellectually, socially and physically.
The Lutheran school system has since grown to be one of the largest networks of independent schools in Australia, currently educating about 40,000 students in 86 schools and 52 Early Childhood Centres.
St Andrew Lutheran Primary School officially merged with Good Shepherd Lutheran College in 2015 to become St Andrew Campus, Leanyer. It was the pioneer Lutheran School in the Northern Territory, established as a T-7 school in 1983 by the St Andrew Congregation, Nightcliff, in a section of what was then the old Carpentaria College building in Nightcliff. In 1985 St Andrew moved to its permanent location in the Darwin suburb of Leanyer. In 2011 it established an Early Learning Centre.
In the mid-1990s a request was made to the Director of Lutheran Schools SA/NT by the Lutheran Church of Australia to consider the establishment of a Lutheran Primary School attached to the Good Shepherd Lutheran Congregation at Palmerston, which led to the opening of Good Shepherd Lutheran Primary School in 1998. The development of the school was strongly sponsored by the St Andrew School and Congregation. In 2007 an additional campus was added to the School at Howard Springs to cater for Years 6 -12, with the original site becoming a T-5 campus of what was now known as Good Shepherd Lutheran College.
Good Shepherd Lutheran College now consists of three campuses, Howard Springs Campus, Palmerston Campus and St Andrew Campus, Leanyer. The College’s distinctive sub-school structure embraces the specific needs of each age group: Early Learning Centre – Primary School – Middle School – Senior School. This structure allows for a seamless education from Early Learning Centre age through to Year 12.
Good Shepherd Lutheran College
Phone: 8983 0300
Fax: 8983 0333